Because the Russia-Ukraine battle enters its 121st day, we check out the primary developments.
Listed here are the important thing occasions to this point on Friday, June 24.
Get the newest updates right here.
- Ukrainian troops will “must be withdrawn” from the principally Russian-occupied battleground metropolis of Severodonetsk, Luhansk regional governor, Serhiy Haidai, mentioned on Friday.
- Russian forces have taken the village of Mykolaivka, about 25km (15 miles) south of the important thing metropolis of Lysychansk, Haidai mentioned.
- The Russian air pressure is probably going struggling to help its Ukraine offensive with enough aircrew, the UK’s Ministry of Defence mentioned, citing current Ukrainian details about a captured pilot flying a Russian airplane who confessed to being a contractor with the Wagner Group, Russian mercenary forces.
- Authorities in Derhachi, to the northwest of Kharkiv, mentioned heavy Russian shelling had knocked out a lot of the city’s electrical and pure gasoline provide.
- The European Union has authorised Ukraine and Moldova’s functions for candidacy standing. Ukraine mentioned it can transfer shortly to take the mandatory steps for accession talks to start.
- The US is sending $450m extra in navy support to Ukraine, together with one other 4 Excessive Mobility Artillery Rocket Techniques (HIMARS).
- The Kremlin’s spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, mentioned Russia is fastidiously recording the usage of every Western-supplied weapon to make sure Ukraine fulfils its promise of not launching an assault into Russia.
- The EU ought to cease making use of new sanctions on Russia and as an alternative push for a ceasefire and the beginning of negotiations, a senior aide to Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban mentioned on Thursday.
- Germany might maintain itself for 2 and a half months of common winter if its pure gasoline storage amenities have been to be 100% full, the top of Germany’s community company mentioned, including that Europe’s greatest economic system wants extra suppliers and should save gasoline.
- The UK is prepared to help with de-mining operations off Ukraine’s southern coast and is contemplating providing insurance coverage to ships to maneuver hundreds of thousands of tonnes of grain caught within the nation, Prime Minister Boris Johnson mentioned.
- Turkey mentioned it was investigating claims that Ukrainian grain was stolen by Russia and shipped to international locations, together with Turkey, though no stolen shipments had been discovered to this point. Russia has beforehand denied allegations of grain theft.
- The European Financial institution for Reconstruction and Growth (EBRD) mentioned it will mortgage Moldova 300 million euros ($316m) to assist it face up to vitality provide disruptions compounded by Russia’s battle in Ukraine.