Russia-Ukraine live news: Azovstal fighters ‘under investigation’ | Russia-Ukraine war News

Report of Azovstal fighters’ destiny comes as Russia intensifies its assault on japanese Ukraine and NATO warns of a protracted conflict.

  • TASS information company says two high Ukrainian commanders who defended Mariupol’s Azovstal metal plant have been transferred to Russia for investigations.
  • Luhansk’s Governor Serhiy Haidai says he’s making ready “for the worst” as Russian forces intensify their assault on japanese cities.
  • Ukraine’s army says it has suffered a setback in Metolkine, a village southeast of the important thing metropolis of Severodonetsk.
  • NATO Secretary-Common Jens Stoltenberg warns that the conflict in Ukraine may drag on for years and requires the provision of extra state-of-the-art weaponry to Ukrainian troops.
  • Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy visits the entrance traces in Mykolaiv and Odesa, declares Ukrainian troops “will certainly” win in opposition to Russia.

INTERACTIVE - WHO CONTROLS WHAT IN UKRAINE - DAY 115 - JUNE 18

Listed here are all the newest updates:


Prime Azovstal commanders transferred to Russia for investigation: Report

Two high Ukrainian commanders who defended the Azovstal metal plant in Mariupol have been transferred to Russia for investigation, based on Russia’s state information company TASS.

Citing an unnamed Russian legislation enforcement supply, TASS mentioned on Saturday that Svyatoslav Palamar, a deputy commander of the Azov battalion, and Serhiy Volynsky, commander of the thirty sixth Marine Brigade, had been moved to Russia.

Particular forces officers transferred them from Donetsk “to conduct investigative actions with them”, TASS cited the supply as saying. “Different officers of assorted Ukrainian items had been additionally transported to Russia.”

A whole bunch of fighters had been captured by Russian forces in Could after a months-long siege of Mariupol. Moscow mentioned on the time they had been moved to breakaway Russian-backed entities in japanese Ukraine.


NATO’s Stoltenberg warns of a years-long conflict in Ukraine

NATO Secretary-Common Jens Stoltenberg has warned that the conflict in Ukraine may final years as he referred to as for state-of-the-art weaponry for Ukrainian troops.

“We should put together for the truth that it may take years. We should not let up in supporting Ukraine,” he advised Germany’s Bild am Sonntag newspaper.

“Even when the prices are excessive, not just for army assist, additionally due to rising power and meals costs.”

Learn extra right here.


Ukraine suffers army setback close to Severodonestk

The Common Employees of Ukraine’s Armed Forces says Ukrainian forces have suffered a army setback in Metolkine, to the southeast of town of Severodonetsk.

“Because of artillery fireplace and an assault, the enemy has partial success within the village of Metolkine, attempting to realize a foothold,” it mentioned in a Fb put up.

However the army mentioned Ukrainian forces had stopped the Russian advance close to the village of Syrotyne.


Governor of Luhansk making ready ‘for the worst’

Serhiy Haidai, governor of Ukraine’s japanese Luhansk area, has advised the AFP information company that Russian forces are “shelling our troop positions 24 hours a day”.

“There’s an expression: put together for the worst and the very best will come by itself,” Haidai mentioned from the city of Lysychansk, the place preparations for road combating are underneath approach: troopers digging in, placing up barbed wire and police utilizing burned-out autos to sluggish site visitors on roads.

Haidai referred to as for provides of “long-range weaponry to reach as quickly as doable”, including: “The truth that the West helps us is sweet, but it surely’s [too] late.”


Whats up and welcome to Al Jazeera’s persevering with protection of the conflict in Ukraine.

Go right here for all the important thing developments from Saturday, June 19.

Leave a Reply